Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

I miss newspapers.

There. I said it. I miss newspapers. Well, more generally speaking, I miss journalism. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my new(ish) job, but lately I've been realizing how much I actually miss journalism.

I got a little burnt out from it at school. I have spent the past five months doing nothing journalism related and I'm starting to feel like writing news and feature stories is really what I want to do with my life. I have spent five months doing some "soul searching" and figuring out what I really want out of life, and now I have it figured out.

Now, it is time to begin the next step. That step is finding a job where my journalism skills are put to the test. There is one teeny tiny little problem with that. I love newspapers. Most newspapers are not hiring new employees. The proverbial "they" say newspapers are dying and I would be crazy to jump aboard a dying ship. I do not think I am crazy for wanting to write for a newspaper. I think I just need to find the right one, while also taking into consideration my location.

I live in the metro area, which is home to the two largest circulating newspapers in Minnesota. The Star Tribune and Pioneer Press are currently not hiring reporters. I would know, I check every single day to see if they are hiring, and I get disappointed every single day. I love where I live, I really do, but it also makes finding a newspaper job more difficult. Smaller daily and weekly newspapers are hiring. I could easily find one of those to work for. It is a matter of location. I am torn between my location and my passion.

I love newspapers and I know exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life, I just have no idea how to go about this. Every news organization that I see hiring is looking for someone with anywhere from one to five years worth of experience, and I do not have that. Hopefully, something will come along soon.

On another note, fall is my favorite time of year and it is gorgeous outside. Happy fall everyone!

No comments: