Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Slight terrifying, strangely invorgotating.

I'm about to do something scary and great at the same time.  It may seem small and insignificant to you, but to me, it is a huge deal.  And the thought of doing it has already been a huge confidence booster.

Instead of saying I'm going on a diet and exercising more, I prefer to say that I am making a lifestyle change.  Because that is what it is.  Diet and exercise will only ever work in the long run if it is a lifestyle change.  I'm taking charge of my life and I'm taking control and I'm incredibly proud of myself at this moment for taking the first step. 

I feel like the best way for this to work is to have a way I am accountable to others.  Hence, this blog post.  Along with all of my other blog posts about apartment gardening, family and friends, and weird/quirky/random things I blog about I will be blogging about my lifestyle change. 

I found the inspiration (and courage to blog about it) through Ben Does Life.  I've read many of his posts from the beginning of his getting healthy journey (okay, many as in starting at the beginning and almost up to date -- I'm not creepy, I promise) and I have found it so admirable.  I found out about Ben Does Life a few days ago through a link on another blog.  It has shown me that I too, can do this.  I want to make myself the happiest person I can be.  This lifestyle change is going to be a selfish thing I do for myself and my health. 

I still am debating about posting my current weight and doing bi-monthly weigh-ins.  That is the part that terrifies me the most about this whole thing.  I know in order for this lifestyle change to work, I need to be completely honest with both myself and you -- whoever you are.  But that doesn't make it any easier for me to post that number.

What I want from you is support.  I want you to be my friend and not judge me too much, please.  These blog posts and you are the motivation for me to keep this going.  I know I can do it.

I haven't decided how much I'm going to post or how frequently.  I hope to at least a few times a week.  I'm keeping track of my caloric intake with a handy little app called Lose It! on my iPod.  I've used it for about two years, and I love it.  By used it, I mean I've had it on my iPod and have successfully used it for a few days at a time, but this time I know is going to be different.  It's going to be different because I have a different attitude going into this lifestyle change than I have had in the past.  And also, I'm downright sick of being overweight.

Some long term goals:
-eventually start running (right now it's at a walk/fast walk/very slow jog)
-figure out what my goal weight is (Wii Fit says a female of my 5'9" height should weight 148.6 pounds)
-along the way fit into my favorite jeans that I haven't worn in well over a year
-be happier (in general, I am a pretty happy person already but I want to increase that happiness)
-make my shoe size go down (I've read that in some cases people that lose a lot of weight also go down in shoe size and my feet are huge, so that would just be an added bonus)
-get healthy

That's all for right now.  I will be adding to this list as time goes on.  Sorry for the long post with no pictures.  If you made it to the end of reading this, thank you for supporting me already.  I truly appreciate it.

No comments: