Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent.

Tonight, I made homemade laundry detergent.  I found a recipe on Pinterest a few months ago and have been waiting for our detergent to run out.  I found the recipe here

First, a bar of soap is grated.

I used a bar of Lever 2000, but any bar of soap can be used.
Next, the grated soap is added to the pan.  Side note, this pan is not large enough to hold the two gallons of liquid, hence a bucket later on.

Looks like cheese, but alas it is not.
A gallon of water is added to the soap.  I used hot water because I read on another website that hot water dissolves the soap a lot better.

Heated to dissolve the soap.
Once the soap is dissolved, one cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soap and one cup of Borax is added to the pot.  This is then heated to a boil.

Boiling.
I noticed it bubbled and foamed on top as it was boiling.  This was then poured into a bucket with one gallon of cold water.  I need to search Goodwill or some other thrift store for a large stock pot that will hold at least two gallons.

Stir hot and cold together.
This mixture is then put into containers.  I was going to leave it in the bucket overnight, but then I thought it would be easier to put into containers now instead of later when it has congealed. 

I need to save gallon containers...
When washing, a half of a cup is used per load.  Researching online, it says this will not create very many suds when using in the washing machine.  I read suds actually don't help clothes get clean and are there for looks.  Sean says the true test of the detergent will be on his cycling and work clothes.  I'll keep everyone posted as to how well this works.  Mom and Becky, you two are getting some of this. 

Buying the box of Washing Soda and Borax and two bars of soap cost me less than $9.  That is A LOT cheaper than it would cost me to buy two gallons of laundry detergent.  The savings alone is just incredible.

1 comment:

The Lingens said...

Woohoo! I can't wait to try the detergent. I have borax at my house already so if it works well, I will have to try making it.