Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Need protein?

I've become very conscious of the calories I'm ingesting with the Lose It app.  I've also been checking the nutrients I'm taking in and watching the percentages of carbohydrates, fat, and protein daily. 

According to About.com:

"The USDA suggests that 50% of your calories come from carbohydrates, about 30-35% from fat, and about 15-20% from protein. For a 2000 calorie per day diet, that equals 250 grams carbohydrates, 67 grams fat and 75 grams protein per day."

Over the course of the last seven day, my protein has been all over the map, as you can see below.

 Eeeek!  Only 10% protein yesterday and an even worse 4.5% August 5.  I really need to work on that.  I'm trying, but I think I need to try more. 

I think in addition to upping my protein I should also up my fiber.  The FDA recommends people get 14 grams of fiber per 1,000 calories consumed.  Roughly 25 grams of fiber for women, 38 grams of fiber for men.  In the last week I've highest amount of fiber consumed was 21.7 grams.  That was on August 7, and looking back in my food log, I thought I ate really crappy things that day.  Apparently, nutrient-wise it wasn't horrible. 

Katie agreed I should up my protein more especially since 5K training because my body needs more protein for my muscles.  If you have any good protein increasing tips, feel free to let me know!

Oh and P.S. If you listen to Pandora, you should probably make a Spice Girls station because you won't be disappointed.  If you love any late '90s pop music (like I do) it will become your newest obsession.  Trust me on this one.

1 comment:

Lee Vanden Busch said...

Keep the protein lean too - chicken and fish are great.